I’ve been out digging in the garden this afternoon. We have a little triangular plot in the middle of some brick paving just off the kitchen that is begging for a herb garden. Yesterday, I pulled all the weedy dead stuff out and gave it a preliminary dig-over before it started raining, and today I attacked it with the big garden fork, and dug a whole lot of compost in. It’s looking all rich and lush and lovely now, just right to start tucking some baby plants in. I forgot to take any before shots, but here’s what it looks like now, as the rain starts up again:
It seems it has been a herb-garden in the past; as I pulled out all the rubbish, I found a little patch of chives there in the back corner, a big tall spike of garlic in the centre of the patch (okay, I already new about that one – it’s taller than me!), and some scraggly-looking parsley. On the left of the picture there is some Hebe that I’ll shift into a pot, or over into one of the border beds.
We already have some green-ness happening in pots along the back verandah – cherry tomatoes in four different varieties (some red, some yellow, all green at present), as well as a single big fat yellow capsicum.
While I had the camera out, I figured I’d better make good on past promises and post some progress pics of my current WIPs:
almost finished purple tofutsies socks,
baby alpaca (oooooohhhh, sooooft!) Swallowtail Shawl, five repeats thereof. This had me so nervous, because I’ve never worked off a triangular chart before, but then I remembered my mantra: I am not afraid to frog. So I cast on and gave it a go, and it’s coming along nicely. It’s not quite automatic yet, but I’m relying on the chart less with each repeat. I’ll give it a lifeline shortly, just to be on the safe side.