The first Shock the Monkey sock, she is finito!
I had a little trouble with the heel, which refused to cooperate in my plan to work it with a slip-stitch heel flap, but after ripping back twice, the third time I caved and just worked it in stocking stitch, and it was much happier. Amazingly, this time I remembered to jot down what I was doing as I did it, so there is a better than even chance that I will get a pretty close match for the mate – I’ll keep you posted.
The colour in this pic is way off – it’s actually a nice brick red.
I did not love the cast-on for this – way too fiddly! But now that I have got a little way into it, I’m “happier’n a tornader in a trailer park” (the boys have been watching Cars a lot this week).
I’ve got 30 rounds done, and am up to 120 stitches per round, which makes it the size of a bread and butter plate, as you can see in the above pic. This is nice plain knitting that I can do without a whole lot of thought, and I’m casting on some cabled socks (another Christmas present) tomorrow, which will be a little more mentally stimulating. A nice mix, I think.
Stay tuned for the whole plan to go straight to hell.