As I mentioned in the previous post, I’m running out of yarn for the Despina sock. I can’t cannibalise the other half of the skein, because that would mean even less yarn for sock #2. I can’t order any more of the yarn, because Mandie didn’t write down what she did when she dyed it for me (she’s a genius, but perhaps a touch absent-minded). So I had a bit of a shopping spree at Mandie’s e-store, and bought some of the Optim/merino yarn that she used, and some pots of dye. I have absolutely no illusions about my ability to recreate the gorgeousness that is that colourway, but I had a cunning plan in mind.
Here’s how it went:
After the first dip, the colour wasn’t nearly deep enough, and the skein was tied a bit too tightly, so there were sections of yarn that hadn’t seen any dye at all. I retied the skein, and lobbed it back in for another swim (you don’t need to see a picture of that, do you? Good, because I didn’t take a pic the second time), and the results were much better:
Did I forget to mention that I also bought an Ashford skeiner/swift thingy? Well, I did. Here’s what the yarn looks like in the skein:
and in the ball:
These pics aren’t quite true to colour – it’s a really luscious, deep lapis lazuli colour (I love me the semi-precious stones). It’s not a perfect match for the original colourway, but it is a good complementary colour. Now, here is where the cunning part of the plan comes in: I am spiralling the semi-solid lapis into the original yarn. Check it out:
I’m very happy with how it’s working. I should be able to knock the rest of this puppy over tomorrow, and then I can get stuck into the second sock.
As they say on the Mason Dixon Knitting blog, git ‘er done!
Updated 9th February: I finished the toe last night, and have already got a jump on the second sock.