One of the things I did at Bendigo was park myself in front of a spinning wheel and attempt to make my fingers do that thing that spinners always make look so easy.
As you may have guessed from the above, it didn’t go so well. The words “lumpy overspun mess” would not be out of place here.
Undeterred, I came home and started practicing. First, I read the Ashford Book of Spinning. Then I spent some time practicing treadling very, very slowly. Finally I decided it was time to try again with some fibre. Armed with my knew knowledge, I pulled out the Big Bag of Unidentified Top that has been lurking in the back of the stash cupboard for the last couple of years, waiting for me to have a wheel (and a clue). And I started spinning. What came out at first was still ugly, lumpy and overspun, but I persevered. I knew that overspinning can be fixed somewhat by plying, so after a while, I put a second bobbin on, and once I’d put some singles onto that, I plied the two together. This is what came of that first afternoon’s work (click to embiggen):
Still odd and overspun in places, but an improvement.
Every day since (well, almost) I have spun for a minimum of 30 minutes, usually of an evening while T.S. and the boys watched telly. This is what came of the first week:
Then I decided that white fibre is boring, so I threw some dye around:
It really feels like it’s getting better. Soon I think I’ll be ready for some of the fibre I bought at Bendigo.
I’ll keep you posted.