What with everything else that has been going on this year, spinning has been happening in fits and starts. So on Tuesday when the boys went back to school, I decided to celebrate by taking a day for spinning – specifically, teaching myself to Navajo ply. So once I got them off to the bus and the morning chores out of the way, I sat down with YouTube and watched a couple of video tutorials. Soon enough, I was merrily chaining away.
Then, out of the blue, just as I was starting to get into a nice rhythm, the drive band on my wheel frayed and broke. I was not happy, to say the least. After a certain amount of swearing, I got online and ordered a new one from Mandie at Ewe Give Me The Knits. In the meantime, I tried to McGuyver a replacement out of kitchen twine, but it was just a bit too slippery to be a workable solution. A couple of days later the real one arrived, and I was back in business. Here’s what I ended up with:
I was aiming for a 4-ply/sock weight, but after a soak it bloomed up to about 8-ply/DK, ranging up to 12-ply/bulky in a few spots. There’s 211g there, which represents about 5 bobbins worth. My goal in learning to spin has been to create the yarns I want to knit with, and even though this came out thicker than I wanted, I feel like it’s a pretty good start. I’ve got a few other projects on the go at the moment, two with deadlines looming close, but then I think I’ll see how it knits up.