Not one, but two new socks on the needles!
As promised, bright (right) green socks: the yarn is Ms Gusset sock, bought at Bendi in 2010, pattern ‘Purl and Zag*’ by Jeannie Cartmel, which is one of those “just one more repeat” patterns that practically knit themselves.
Also, I needed something to knit in the car on the way to the wedding, so I cast on a very plain* (I can’t look at my hands or I’ll get sick) toe-up in some Jitterbug from my very first Bendi trip in 2008, colourway ‘Morello Mash’, which just happens to match the frock I wore to the wedding. It didn’t get any play on the drive home, as I was feeling a bit seedy (I had a really good time), and thought I’d better not push my luck.
This weekend just past, Tech Support and I dropped the boys off with friends and hied ourselves north to the Hunter Valley for the wedding of our beautiful niece Stephanie.
It was a gorgeous day, and a good time was had by all.
Steph doesn’t realise it, but the above pic shows exactly how much T.S. adores her. He wouldn’t dance with me at our wedding, but he danced with his niece.
Another pair of socks to add to the pile:
My socks were only in the rosemary for a few minutes, but now they smell heavenly.
The Vital Statistics:
Cast On: July 1st, 2013
Cast off: October 13th, 2013
Pattern: Nutkin by Beth LaPensee
Yarn: EGMTK! Sock, in a colourway I call Toasted Coconut, because, well, look at it!
Needles: 2.5mm Knitpicks fixed circular
Modifications: Fancy-schmancy Nancy Bush Estonian Cast-on, otherwise standard.
Link to Ravelry Project Page.
What with everything else that has been going on this year, spinning has been happening in fits and starts. So on Tuesday when the boys went back to school, I decided to celebrate by taking a day for spinning – specifically, teaching myself to Navajo ply. So once I got them off to the bus and the morning chores out of the way, I sat down with YouTube and watched a couple of video tutorials. Soon enough, I was merrily chaining away.
Then, out of the blue, just as I was starting to get into a nice rhythm, the drive band on my wheel frayed and broke. I was not happy, to say the least. After a certain amount of swearing, I got online and ordered a new one from Mandie at Ewe Give Me The Knits. In the meantime, I tried to McGuyver a replacement out of kitchen twine, but it was just a bit too slippery to be a workable solution. A couple of days later the real one arrived, and I was back in business. Here’s what I ended up with:
I was aiming for a 4-ply/sock weight, but after a soak it bloomed up to about 8-ply/DK, ranging up to 12-ply/bulky in a few spots. There’s 211g there, which represents about 5 bobbins worth. My goal in learning to spin has been to create the yarns I want to knit with, and even though this came out thicker than I wanted, I feel like it’s a pretty good start. I’ve got a few other projects on the go at the moment, two with deadlines looming close, but then I think I’ll see how it knits up.
While I’ve been spending a fair bit of quality time with my new stove, there have been other things going on around here as well.
My in-laws came to visit, bringing with them a couple of dwarf fruit trees (peach and nectarine), to get our garden started. Before I could put them in, I had to dig out the somewhat overgrown garden bed and mix a bunch of compost into the heavy, clay soil, which, as Dr Bones pointed out, constitutes a fairly comprehensive workout.
My crack team of personal shoppers (AKA Dr Bones, Knightly Knitter, Tinkingbell and Zephyrama) came through big time, sending me everything on my Bendi shopping list:
I’ve also been knitting, getting halfway through a pair of Nutkin socks,
as well as casting on a Vertex cardigan in the 4ply Cormo wool bought at Bendi 2012:
WordPress really wants this pic upside down. I even tried turning it upside down in my folder, but it liked it that way.
And there’s been this, which is making me ridiculously happy:
The house is also taking shape; next week we have an electrician coming to replace the stupid, expensive-to-run so-called “low voltage” downlights with more efficient compact fluorescent units, and put in some extra power points. Because we can do that sort of thing now.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go shopping for ingredients.